Measuring strings for replacement

Isaac Sadigursky irs.pianos@earthlink.net
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:39:20 -0800

I HAD HEARD STORIES FROM TECHNICIANS,WHO WORKED AT THE FACTORIES IN THE 30-50TH.. ON A FEW OCCASIONS THEY WOULD RUN OUT OF CERTAIN SIZES OF WIRE AND KEEP DOING STRINGING WITH WHATEVER WAS STILL IN SUPPLY.. I HAD FOUND A FEW  INCONCISTENCIES WITH WIRE SIZES AND IT CAUSED BRAKAGE IN THE FUTURE {PRESENT TIME}.ALSO,KEEP IN MIND,SOME SCALES ARE "HIGH TENSION"..BUT LOGICALLY,IN THIS AREA SHOULD NE #14..

----- Original Message -----
From: Stéphane Collin
To: Pianotech
Sent: 11/16/04 10:52:50 AM
Subject: Re: Measuring strings for replacement

Hello Cy and list.

I find this is an interesting topic (micrometer technique).  I find it difficult too to make accurate measures.  I do zero my micrometer each time I use it.

I prefer measuring the string under tension, as I feel that the major problem with measuring a string is that you must obviously measure a straight portion of it, which, without tension, is quite tricky.
I use the cylinder anvil, in order to minimize, at least on one side, the surface of the anvil that will contact the string.  Like you, I do three or four measurements on the same string, always using the friction device, and wobbeling the micrometer while turning the device, so that the string can find it's way under the micrometer, and let read it's actual diameter.  I believe (but I am not sure) that errors due to minute string diameter variations are far less important than errors due to string not being perfectly straight under the micrometer anvils.  For this reason, I always choose the lowest value of the measures I made as the most probable one.
Even with this method, I found that my knowing of what diameter the string should have (following a rational string sheme) had much influence on the actual reading I do of it's diameter, which is no good, I believe.  Or maybe just opposite.

I hope to generate comments from more experienced fellows.  Anyway, do you expect a half gauge number difference with the desired one to be a real catastrophy ?

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.