CA in a hurry

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:41:28 -0500

I admit that I haven’t done careful scientific studies. All I have is my
experience and gut feeling. I also have Joe Goss and others telling me they
have used it for ten years.

Maybe it is the class of pianos I work on. If you are working on high end
pianos with soft blocks that aren’t terribly old, perhaps oversize pins work
more reliably. I have not had good success with them. I have one old upright
in particular that the whole bass section was really flakey. I put in
several oversize, sand paper shimmed others. It did not last more than a
couple of years. On a severely cracked block you are only stressing the
cracks more in that kind of situation.

Then I CA’d it. That was 4 years ago and it is still holding very snug.
Instead of stressing the wood further, CA reinforces the cellular structure,
it strengthens the wood. Of course that is educated conjecture. No lab
testing involved.

I have not yet encountered a piano that CA glue did not work very reliably
on. I have been doing it for about 6 years now and have yet to see one quit
working. So my evidence is admittedly anecdotal. But combine it with Joe
Goss and others and it seems to me it presents a pretty compelling case.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802