How do we tell customers that the work done on theirpianosstinks?

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:21:45

Hi Sarah,

I'd speak to her as a conservator at a museum might. If this lovely
instrument had never been played there would still be some damage just from
the passage of time, and it might need some "restoration" work. Original
materials would be used in that process.

If it has been "well used", as this instrument clearly has been, then
judicious rebuilding will give it a "new lease" on life as a musical
instrument. To leave it "as is" serves no one. Modern materials may make it
"better than new"

At 06:43 PM 15/11/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>A friend's daughter, a young but accomplished musician (composer/violinist),
>has a beautiful 1905 Knabe upright with considerable wear and tear.  The
>biggest problems with the piano are the hammer-like objects (HLOs), which
come
>in all variety of random shapes and sizes, thanks to the skilled work of
some
>unknown tooner from long ago, and the dampers, which are original and don't
>damp all that great.  The piano has a LOT of sentimental value, and
despite its
>years, it's quite a nice instrument.  I'd say it's an obvious candidate
for new
>hammers and damper felt at the very least.

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca		http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.
REGINA, SK