Impact Tuning Hammers

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:56:15 -0500

Just thought I'd report in on the aftermath of the dreaded K-52.

I slayed the beast!

The pins on this thing were tight, but not as bad as some. The piano was =
about 10 cents flat and kind of all over the place. I did a pitch raise =
with the impact lever and a fine tuning pass with my fancy Keith Bowman =
lever (NC conference door prize from several years ago!!!).

I can see that the impact lever will take some getting used to. The =
pitch raise took me a full hour (hey, first time with a new type lever =
dude - back off!). One thing I started doing after just a few notes - as =
my right hand started to freak-out from the new motion - was to use my =
left hand on the lever also. I'll train myself to be an ambidextrous =
impact lever tuner! I've got a screwed up right arm, and I really think =
this will be an asset to my ability to pay my mortgage and buy lots of =
spruce.

I think I'll try and force myself to do all vertical pitch raises with =
the impact lever. I figure that will be a good harmless way of getting =
used to controlling it. Any experienced opinions on that?

After the pitch raise, I spent 90 minutes tuning that &$*(# thing. I =
guess it has been a while since I did one of these, but WOW, they really =
are a different beast. I can't really even describe how the pitch goes =
all over the place when you try to turn the tuning pin. Flagpoling, =
bending, warping, skewing, stretching, whatever - man, there is just =
something really scwewy with those things. I'll keep my four-letter =
thoughts to myself (but rest assured, I have them - plenty of them!). A =
very frustrating piano to tune.

Terry Farrell

  ----- Original Message -----=20