"should I stay or should I go?"

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 06:50:34 -0600

On Nov 12, 2004, at 12:02 AM, David Skolnik wrote:

> The point is, SOMEONE has to teach these people.  If I (or you) don't
> tell them, why SHOULD they know better?

You are right. My position is indefensible. But it is my position,
nevertheless. I wonder how many of those people that you successfully
shooed away will ever be faced with the same situation again. Next time
it is likely to be different people making noise and needing to be
educated. This is the piano tuner's existential dilemma, as far as I
can see. We can suffer (the noise) in silence, or we can suffer the
humiliation of having to ask for quiet. Suffering in silence involves
no break in tuning, and doggedly continues the progress toward a
finished tuning.

Last weekend I tuned for Olga Kern, the Cliburn gold medalist. I had
prepared one piano in ideal conditions, but there was a last minute
change of pianos. I had half an hour to bring the other piano up to
pitch and tune it at the last minute while chaos reigned in the hall.
Impossible. But as far as they know, I did it, and the reviews of the
concert were raves. Maybe I was able to do that because of the
experience I have tuning in adverse conditions. ?

Kent