A-440 and Ethics.

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi@earthlink.net
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:35:25 -0800

Avery,
I couldn't agree more.  If it is going to break at a certain point, it will
break whenever it gets there.  If it's old and rusty, I lubricate the
contact points, and I'm a little more careful, but I go for it.  I also warn
the owner of the condition of the piano and explain why strings may break.
Usually they understand that if a piano is allowed to get in such bad
repair, it may suffer further problems....like broken strings and other
parts.

Julie,
I have raised pitch as much as a whole step (200 cents) a couple of times.
In 26 years I've never seen a plate break.

Charging for incremental tunings will not save the strings that will
probably break anyway, but it will cost your client more.  It's hard for me
to justify so many trips for such old tired beasts, anyway.  I say do it in
one shot, with over-pull and see how it will hold up.  If it doesn't make it
without multiple strings breaking...then have another chat with you client.
And the conversation may end with your recommendation not to put any more
money into it.

jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Associate Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net