"should I stay or should I go?"

ilex cameron ross i1ex@earthlink.net
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:40:46 -0500

Oh, I absolutely think people SHOULD realize that making a good tuning
requires good conditions, but I also know that most of the time they
*don't*, even when asked politely. Often, there just isn't an alternative
once the stage is set (no pun intended) for what's going on that day or in
that environment. People also don't usually think piano tuners are any more
"special" than the plumber, the lighting guy, the sound man, etc., and they
certainly won't be inclined to treat the piano tuner as such. Sad fact of
life, I am afraid.

More and more I catch glimpses of how tuners and non-musician types are
completely different animals. It's weird. I guess I've known music all my
life and I take that for granted. It's completely foreign to imagine not
even knowing, as someone else pointed out, that the lid must be open in
order to tune. I have to remind myself it's *just* that we're different
species, not necessarily that they're just dummies, but I digress. ;)

Something that I have discovered, just as a personal observation about
myself, is that often times my best tunings have come from the noisiest and
most distracting environments. I don't know what it is, if my brain makes a
shift that super-focuses my ears or what, but I have also experimented with
tuning while wearing earplugs and have gotten the same results (cheapie foam
earplugs, not the nice custom-designed ones, mind you). Maybe out of
necessity my ears start picking up what they most need to hear, rather than
getting distracted by all the partials I tend to obsess over otherwise.

I've learned to just make due and be proud of the fact that I can put a good
tuning on a piano in an environment with sledgehammers and forklifts and
even loud music over the sound system ("sound check"). My reasoning for not
pitching a fit or insisting on silence is that frankly, the majority of
people seem to remember attitude and demeanor far better than they remember
that your unisons were flawlessly clean. Of course, the prime goal is to
achieve all of the above at once! ;)
-ilex
  -----Original