voicing/juicing ronsen hammers

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:29:54 -0800

For those who have used them, or know about them,  has anyone find it
necessary to lacquer Ronsen's Wurzen felt hammers? After hanging a set on my
G1 yamaha, the tone is quite nice and uniform, but lacking in power. I'm
told these hammers can be "voiced up" to some extent by deep needling at
about 11 &1 o'clock. Will this not "mellow" the tone? They are plenty mellow
to start with. I thought that adding 3:1 ratio of lacquer to acetone and
soaking the lower shoulders until it wicks to the moulding near the tip was
the way to add fff potential.
If so, what is the best way to do this consistently from one hammer to the
next, avoiding the crown? There is an article on lacquering in this month's
PTJ, but I'd like as much feedback as I can get before I attempt this.
thanks!

Terry Peterson