About Checking

William R. Monroe A440WRMPiano@tm.net
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:11:55 -0600

Hi List,

I've a small grand that I'm regulating (mine) and I'm struggling with
checking.  Just finished regulation, and everything works well except
checking.  Checking is nice and even throughout from a medium blow on up at
15mm.  I've double checked things like:  repetition spring tension -
definitely not too strong; escapement - jack is clearing knuckle
sufficiently; backcheck height and angle seem right.  I guess my thoughts
now lean towards, maybe backchecks are too low?  I can get checking on a
soft blow by decreasing the checking height from 15mm to about 8 or 9, but I
just don't like it that close.  Thoughts? and Thanks.

William R. Monroe
Madison, WI
Assoc.