Cordless screwdriver

justpianos@our.net.au justpianos@our.net.au
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:41:23 -0000

Ron Nossaman <rnossaman@cox.net> said:

> >Thanks for all replies on split washer suggestions, but why aren't all
> >manufacturers doing this. They must know that their pianos are going into
> >different atmospheric conditions.
> >Any comments on the Allen-key wrench.
> >Bruce Browning-The Piano Tuner
>
> More to the point, why aren't all the manufacturers using ABS flanges that
> don't swell and compress with humidity and shrink and get loose when it's
> dry? Why not eliminate the cause instead of treating the symptoms?
>
> Ron N

Good point, and something I've thought about for some time.
There are many parts which may well be replaced with plastic, surely much
easier to manufacture, closer tolerances and more stable, and definitely have
no effect on tone of the piano.
For example, moulded keys, moulded keyframe and many more parts of the action
than have been moulded before. Any comments?
Bruce Browning-The Piano Tuner