Wire gauges, (sizes)

Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:17:17 -0600

At 11:46 11/3/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>Jurgen said: "Have I confused everyone?  Check out the chart:"
>Jurgen,
>Thanks for the nice chart!<G> However, you left out #23, #24 & #25.<G>
>On wire sizes, (as in replacing, etc.), ALWAYS check the size wire you
>have against what is there! Always check your wire when you recieve a new
>shipment, and mark it!
>On a slightly different note, it is possible to "mix & match" Metric Wire
>w/ US Wire, to smooth out a scale. (unfortunately, that feature is not,
>yet, available in most scale programs I've seen/used. ScaleMaster is
>working on that feature.<G>
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
>Captain, Tool Police
>Squares R I

Aha!  I'm retro ahead of the times! ...and my ex never understood why I am
a packrat...

Back in the '80s, I wrote my own scaling program in BASIC based on those
Calculating Technician Articles.  (oldtimers remember BASIC, but not the
new computers)  Whilst I didn't write it for metric gages, the input is in
thousandths and will easily calculate decimals. I could enter 33 for .033,
or 33.5 for .0335.  I recently ran the scale of my Krakauer, but didn't use
anything but whole .001s.

The real retro part? I'm still running it on my 1987 IBM PS2. What a friend
of mine calls my "computer museum"... ;-}
Something for me to play with this weekend - splicing in metric sizes where
they might be needed - what fun!

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder