Cracked Lid

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 16:01:18 -0600

Subject: RE: Cracked Lid

>Thanks, Ron.  Chestnut is not a common species in the upper midwest.
>Paul C

Hi Paul,
It's another tragic story. The American Chestnut used to be plentiful, and
the biggest tree (up to 100') in the Eastern hardwood forests. Around 1900,
a fungus that came in on imported nursery stock started killing them off,
and by about 1940, most that were left were small blighted trees not
suitable for lumber harvest. The Chestnut blight was what finally prompted
quarantine regulations on plant imports.

Ron N

_
Sounds like our on going battle with Dutch Elm Desease and Oak Wilt.  Better
quit with thread or change the heading.  I feel the OT police are watching.

Paul C