OT Politicals

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 12:20:15 -0500

Hi Andrew,

> According to an embedded NBC reporter and a sergeant from the airborne
> division that attacked and took the place they weren't there when it was
> "liberated".

I apparently missed this item.  I searched the web for it and found it on a
gizillion radical right-wing blogs, such as on white supremicist web sites.
However, I'm having trouble finding it elsewhere, except these field notes
from correspondent Dana Lewis on Fox News:

I quote Ms. Lewis:

"We walked around dozens of concrete bunkers that were still closed. Many
still had padlocks on the doors and in another section we saw dozens and
dozens of rockets, most of them damaged from U.S. air strikes."
"Some of the bunkers also had taken bomb strikes and had gaping holes. I saw
no tags left by the International Atomic Energy Agency (search) used to seal
the explosives, but we were never told what to look for and they could have
been there."

So according to Ms. Lewis, there were lots of locked bunkers in an ENORMOUS
compound that were not searched, because nobody told them to look for
explosives there.  To my eyes, this doesn't suggest that the explosives were
not there.  The logical conclusion would be that they were in the multitudes
of bunkers that were not searched.  It says to me that there was a failure
in command, whereby troops were not dispatched to secure these explosives,
based on pre-invasion information from the UN weapons inspectors.  Indeed, I
don't hear Mr. Bush citing these field notes from Dana Lewis.  He shrugs
sheepishly and says, "I take full responsibility on this one."  In other
words, he admits that he (or his administration) screwed up, but he says it
in a "noble" way.

Of course I may not know the full story.  Do you have a reputable source
that suggests the bunkers were actually *searched* by the 2nd Brigade of the
101st when it was there on Apr 10, 2003?  Or was it merely a matter of this
unit being in the neighborhood and not casually noticing anything?

Peace,
Sarah