Tuning Devices for learning (was Tuning Devices)

Sun, 30 May 2004 22:34:10 +0200

Chris Gregg wrote:

> Richard,
>                 For someone who can tune aurally, the machine can be
> an interesting addition to their tuning arsenal, however I have seen
> it time and time again that as soon as a beginner uses the machine,
> aural progress stops.  This is the reason that so many machine users
> have trouble with the aural section of the tuning exam.  Machine on,
> ears off.
>
> Chris

I'd have to simply counter that this reflects on the instructors
inability to utilize the ETD as a learning tool more then it reflects on
anything else Chris.

The Japanese at Yamaha teach all their students with the help of the
ETD, and produce many fine tuners. I've started off a few with none of
the problems you emphasis, and I know of other technicians who teach
tuning with the help of ETD's and do not share your experience.

Sorry Chris. I cant agree with you here.

Cheers
RicB