wire coming out of beckett

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sat, 29 May 2004 00:07:08 -0400

Mike,
         Might be a silicone contamination but that still sounds pretty=20
extreme. How are the becket holes? Are they rounded out or buggered up in=20
some way? You could try making a reverse bend in the wire you left hanging=
=20
out of the other side. Sounds like a fun little puzzle. Keep us posted ok?

Greg Newell

At 11:53 PM 5/28/2004, you wrote:
>Hi List,
>
>I tuned a piano today.  Very nice Kawai console, about 17 yrs old.  It=20
>looks like it's 2 years old.  Piano is up to pitch.  Nothing out of the=20
>ordinary.  I tuned up to f#7 and broke that string.  I could almost "tell"=
=20
>it was going to break.  The pitch wasn't changing and the pin got harder=20
>to turn.  But, I wasn't focusing on that, so it broke.
>
>Now comes the strange part.  I replaced the string.  As I was bringing it=
=20
>up to tension, it broke.  That's a first for me.  Let me start off by=20
>saying I think I'm a pretty good stringer.  Becketts are always tight in=20
>the pin, coils are perfect, the right number of coils and pin height is=20
>all perfect.  Ok....maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention when this=
=20
>string broke.  String number 2 (or three however you look at it)  put it=20
>on...again...perfect.  Finished tuning the piano.  Went back to touch-up=20
>tune the new strings and wow ....they dropped in pitch.  Ok...retune=20
>them.  retune them...retune them...retune them....HEY!  Something's going=
=20
>on here.  I stopped and tuned just one string.  As I tune, I bring it up=20
>to pitch, but now I keep playing the note with out turning the pin.  I can=
=20
>easily hear the pitch dropping.  I retune and the same thing.  I look at=20
>the pin, and the beckett is clearly slipping out.  Finally the whole thing=
=20
>pops out.  Damn...Next string I made sure there was wire poking out the=20
>other side.  Finished tuning it up and noticed the pitch was dropping on=20
>this new string too...Man how can this happen?
>
>I let the customer know there may be a problem here in the future, as I'm=
=20
>getting frustrated at this point.  Pitch was still dropping when I=20
>left.  I'm thinking I may need to replace the tuning pin.  I know I could=
=20
>just put the wire through farther and bend it over like Baldwin does on=20
>their vertical pianos.
>
>This shouldn't be happening right?  Like I said...I think I can string=20
>well enough, that that isn't the problem.
>
>Any thoughts
>
>Mike Bratcher

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Fort=E9