deaf-blind-plate

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Fri, 28 May 2004 06:24:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Terry,

If I know the instrument I am working on will exceed
the overpull capacity of the VTD I use then before I
start I will pull up the last pin tuned from a#4 up to
the top of the instrument. For me this is the bottom
row of pins. The idea was given to me by Al Jescke of
Calgary--I don't know if it was his original idea or
not.

If the piano is 150 cents flat then I will do the top
row of pins as well, perhaps from c6 up.

My observations of this technique have shown that this
is less stable than more "traditional" methods of
pitch correction I.E. doing a "triple pass".

I don't personally believe that a piano this flat can
be made stable in one visit. I'd far rather return for
a 2nd service call.

This has been discussed before so I know there are
referrences in the archives.

As regards different pianos reacting to overpull
numbers try to find out if the instrument has a
laminated board or a traditional one--the laminated
takes less overpull. The style of plate matters as
well. I find plates with individual hitch pins require
far less overpull. My hunch is that the plate flex is
a whole bunch more important than the soundboard. Full
perimeter plates also require less overpull. Pianos
with massive rims require less overpull.

(sending this message via data cable and my cell
phone--which is why I did not reply at greater length
the first time)

=====
Regards,
3004 Grant Rd, Regina, SK, S4S 5G7