Verituner and Pitch Raises]

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Fri, 28 May 2004 09:23:17 -0400

I did a P22 last week that was 40 cents flat in an hour and a half, using
TuneLab Pro (it was 80 cents flat in the top octave!).  I used the timed
note switch feature, setting it at 4 seconds a note, and just marched up
from A0 to C8 in about 15 minutes.  No mutes, only raising pitch, and just
trying to get in the ballpark (certainly no pin setting).  The timed switch
solves the problem where the auto note switch can't work because the note
you're tuning is 50+ cents flat, and sounds just like the previous note!

I choke up my grip on the hammer, as it helps move from pin to pin quickly.
TuneLab lets you specify where the highest wound string is, and sets
overpull percentages accordingly (less on the bass).  TuneLab Pro
additionally lets you measure each string to calculate its overpull, which
only takes a fraction of a second.

I was astonished how many strings were right on in the second, fine-tuning
pass.  The combination of the timed note switch, the calculated overpull,
and the spectrum display (so I can tune bichords and trichords without
muting) is an enormous time saver for pitch raises.

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV