Verituner and Pitch Raises]

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 28 May 2004 07:43:20 -0400

All right, here we go again. 150 cent pitch raise and "one pass will get so
close that final touch up is quick and a
breeze". This suggests that most (almost all - maybe all) strings end up
within one or two cents of target. If the "tuning" is only a touchup, then
many strings must end up at the target pitch.

Now most folks say that a PR should just get the piano up to pitch, and not
waste time setting pins. So I take it your pins get set somehow
automatically? My experience is that - especially in the high treble -
strings will often take quite a bit of hammering/stretching before they
stabilize when doing a large pitch raise (sometimes even with no PR). Is
this addressed?

And would this work on any piano? Do you have a large set of overpull
percentages for various pianos? Do you not find that a small piano with no
downbearing and no soundboard crown will require less overpull than a large
piano with tons of downbearing and soundboard crown?

I find that some pianos may require more overpull than others - how do you
get all yours to end right up on target?

Most folks say that if you are spending more than 15 or 20 minutes on a
pitch raise, there is something wrong with your technique (takes me a
half-hour). How much time might a "touch up" tuning require? 20 minutes max?
So do you pitch raise 150 cents and tune in less than a total of 40 minutes
and end up with a good, stable tuning?

What kind of ETD/ear are you using?

150 cent PR and a good tuning would take me between 2 and 2-1/2 hours.

Terry Farrell