Verituner and Pitch Raises

Thu, 27 May 2004 07:05:57 -0700

One hundred cents would be asking a lot of any machine.  The pitch raise
function is really designed to give a fairly accurate tuning when the piano
is moderately flat or sharp, I would say less than 20 cents.  You can
select your preferences for how much overpull there will be as you are
tuning.  The machine doesn't really "calculate" on overall tuning, rather,
it measures each note as you go and gives you a percentage overpull for
that note depending on how you program it.  For example, in the bass you
may want 16% overpull, in the midrange 28%, in the upper range 32%.  You
can program the machine to give you those numbers, or change them as you
like.  Then, as you are tuning, it will measure each note and tell you how
far over you must pull it to achieve your selected percentage.  How
accurate the final product is will depend somewhat on how evenly the piano
is out of tune.  For 100 cents flat you will have some reading
problems--the machine isn't quite sure what note you want--so you have to
change notes manually.  I would count on at least 2 passes for a rough
tuning of a piano at 100 cents off.  A pitch raise that requires accurate
unison tuning (if you want to leave the piano after you are done with one
pass) will take as long as it takes you to tune them aurally.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net