For your Listening Pleasure - tuning thoughts

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Wed, 26 May 2004 22:14:23 +0200

Richard,

Nice recording, thanks for sharing this. This is effectively a very nice
piano , I enjoyed the listening

I just read your comments on the pure twelve, but my opinion differ
slightly.

Isaac OLEG

now please don't take me wrong but I want to comment on the pure twelve
tuning (while I certainly could not notice it if you did not say so, I
notice a pure fifths tuning but pure twelve's is slightly less expanded)

Did you notice the violin like the fourths to be slightly smaller than the
piano ?
Since the beginning of the piece you hear that the violin tuning is less
stretched (and hence more warmful)

I liked to tune in pure twelve's (I gave a few try, and have find the method
pleasing to the tuner) but have find that the tuning is a tad too "straight"
with fifths that seem to be sounding strange from tonal point of view with
this method  . The 12ths straightness is also less singing than the smoother
twelve's we usually tune. In "standard tuning" we get to more than pure
twelve's in the bass, often, in fact I like to keep the warmness of the
fifths and twelve's that is preserved with standard method.

There is also a large difference in ascending arpeggios between the natural
justness of the violin and the stretch of the piano, as the violin seem to
play just, seem to me that the added stretch in the high treble is
unnecessary (and violin is know to play high in the treble)

IMHO Nothing beat the very standard VT tuning when it comes to justness. In
my opinion also the pure 12 gives on some pianos a tad too much stretch in
the end, but mostly, it depart too much from the "pure octaves" alayamaha
tuning method.

In fact actually I stick with a very standard tuning pattern from a justness
point of view, but I regulate the sharpness with the way the unisons are
tuned. It is not rare that I change slightly the kind of unison after
hearing the pianist play, as then one can obtain a more or less incisive
tone in a very short time.

I am persuaded that this particular piano would have even a warmer tone
with a "no beat in octaves method " as instructed by Yamaha -  I guess you
have tuned it like this as well is not it ? the only thing to be avoided
then is too small octaves, as we are playing at the edge, but the other edge
than when we stretch, and a slightly smaller octave is easily noticed..

I see high stretch tuning as a process that may be done aurally, and may
stick with the particular possibilities of the room and the piano, and that
they are not well adapted to machine tuning (even with the VT) because it
play with the sharpness of the attack, and this can't be catched with the
usual EDT, only by ear. Then I have listened to tunings that had a high 1.5
to 2 bps in the temperament region octaves and that gives more tension and
life than a more policed pure fifth or pure twelve tuning, but they are done
sticking with the max sharpness allowed, and contain because of that a few
"awful" intervals that where way too large fifths.

I have analyzed the unisons and tuning of the most asked tuner from the
Steinway C&A dept in Paris, and have find that he mix very precisely pure
cool octaves, nice fifths and sharp unisons, producing that lively
coloration that artists seem to like.
When hearing his tunings I was first under the impression of a very high
stretch, while in fact only in the 5 th octave some notes are pushed to
their limit, but as the double octave stay calm, in the end a few highest
octaves are a little small , he does not process stretching more and more,
unless the piano is playing a concerto and the pianist ask for that highly
stretched high treble.

So in the end he produce an holistic tuning as well. He was very pleased
with my VT tunings BTW, and told me he appreciated them.

The big thing I like with the VT is that cumulated effect of the
reinforcement of the partials , then I obtain some kind of "tonal material"
that is adding strength and sustain to the piano. if I want a sharper tone,
I work the unisons toward more saturation, if I want a rounder tone I work
towards a more round attack.

I had a very good and true comment from a friend a few days ago. it was
about voicing (first voicing as well for that matter).

He say me that the most important thing for him is to obtain a perfect
pianissimo, as the pianissimo is yet showing the quality of the tone at
higher levels. When tuning the idea apply as well, at the difference that on
many pianos a more firm playing is necessary to find the correct sensation.
Once find, one can tune in pianissimo mode (assuming the voicing is
coherent) and have the nice sounding fortissimo as well. I have find this
comment to be so very true...

Best regards.

Isaac OLEG