Hamburg Steinway "D" bass (wound string) Buzz

Marcel Carey mcpiano@videotron.ca
Sun, 23 May 2004 17:01:00 -0400

If the piano is on a dolly "truck" check the leg supports bolts (under the
truck) . It happened to me a few years ago that the bolt that keeps the kind
of square leg cup came loose and it produced that kind of a buzz.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Ron May, RPT
  Sent: 23 mai, 2004 13:33
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Hamburg Steinway "D" bass (wound string) Buzz

  Are there any piano techs on this list that are still interested in
talking about piano problems or are we now just solving political problems.
If so, I could use your input.

  I am the servicing piano technician for a Hamburg Steinway (D) 9 foot
grand. According to the serial (450690)number it seems to be a 1977.

  I first came on the scene with this piano a couple of years ago and
although everyone seems to be in love with the piano I immediately was taken
back by a pronounced buzz in all of the 39 wound strings.  There seems to be
plenty of bearing on the bass bridge. I have exhausted all of my known
fixes. I have put additional twists in the strings in hopes of tightening
the windings. I've tapped the strings down on the bridge and hitch pins. all
of which improved the piano a bit.  There is a box of Mapes strings which I
assume were kept for emergency replacement that have been boxed for 6-7
years. I replaced a few of the strings with the strings from the box.  This
also improved the sound considerably  on those strings but a buzz is still
quite audible.. From what I have heard, at the time of purchase, a fork lift
had been run into the side of the piano and the church had made a special
buy on the piano after the repair. I can't help but wonder if the mapes
strings being rolled up in the original box wouldn't also have developed a
few loose windings. I have heard some good reports about Arledge Bass
Strings and am very interested in any experiences you have had with these
strings.

  This piano is used for many concerts during season. I am surprised that we
have had no complaints from the artists. Any help and suggestions will be
greatly appreciated.

  Ron May, RPT
  Vero Beach FL