Best piano in your world.

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Sun, 23 May 2004 22:06:22 +0200

Nice story, Phillip.

I do remember an older concert Bechstein 1873 that I liked very much,
apart from a few notes (not responsive to my voicing techniques) at both
sides of the tenor/trebble strut regio (this seems to happen often).
Those four notes spoiled my pleasure to play the piano.  Many pianists
played it with very good comments (not hearing any problem), and while I
heard them play, also I couldn't hear the problem anymore, probably
because I sat at another place than when I play the instrument, and also
because my attention was lead to the music, not to the sound.
While I was extra critical about this later, for a long time I couldn't
hear the problem anymore when playing again the instrument.  It then
became my N°1 for a good time.
Together with the fact that the sound of the piano seems to change with
temperature and moisture changes, this made me believe that the
percieved sound changes also with the temperature (and moisture ?) of
the ears, maybe influenced by blood circulation.  Obviously, I can't
hear subtle voicing problems so well in the morning, or when I am
emotionned.  Interesting to observe this.  I could be searching soon for
ear voicing techniques (some dedicated sounds on CD, and some ear
massage or so) ;-)

Stéphane Collin.