bring 'em on! OT

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Sun, 23 May 2004 10:28:39 -0700

Hello John,
     I responded to a post.  I guess one of your posts was in the thread.
Sorry, I did not me to associate you with the provocative posts that I was
making comment on.
     As we all have opinions one way or another on nearly every technical
subject it can't be expected that all would agree.  If we contributors to the
list did agree on everything what would be the use of such a list?
     A divergence of views must be far greater as is the range of life
experience, when non-technical subjects are encountered as we see here so
frequently lately.   When that happens we must, generally, bite the bullet and
accept that others see the world differently, rightly or wrongly.  Far and
away, the best course is to avoid a response to provactive, OT postings.
Sage words were posted here by, I think, Alan B. recently when he posted that
if its is wrong to give offense, it would be a hundred times worse to actively
take such offense.
     As I said, I did not mean to associate you with such things - that seems
to have been a function of the thread mechanism.
     Once again to all:  when one takes such offense at an OT post, or
otherwise, and posts subsequently an emotionally charged response you are
promoting a cycle which results in the dilution of the true value of the list
which, of course, is its value for the exchange of technical ideas.
Regards, Robin Hufford