Rogers Voicing Advice

Sun, 23 May 2004 12:55:44 +0200

Roger Jolly wrote:

> Hi Ric,
>               I think Andre and I play from the same page about short
> cuts on upper end pianos.    There is NO magic bullet.    How ever I
> think maybe I might be more pragmatic, about things like steam
> voicing.   <G>
> Regards Roger

Oh Andre's is definantly a purist about voicing. And, given the hammers
he uses, it works extremely well for him.  Which I think is one of the
more convincing things about his perspective and point about hammer
choice. He wouldnt get into steam simply because there is no need for it
if you get my meaning.  He'd elect to throw away such hammers and put on
<<good>> hammers.  And those pliers you carry around... gawd I can just
see his reaction to those !!....

But to be sure... this is based on his (and mine now) preception of what
a hammer that is worth working on consists of.

And just as to be sure... if either of us first would set us to the task
of manipulating a <<bad>> set of hammers we would not have anywhere near
the same expectations.  <<Get em even and soft enough>> would probably
sum up the attitude close enough.

And DALE !!  grin.. before you jump all over me for using the <<good>>
and <<bad>> above.... remember these are not meant as universal
definitions that every piano tech with respect for himself <<should>>
(in our opinion) use... they are reflective of our own choices and tastes.

Cheers
RicB