Relocating Knuckles

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Sat, 22 May 2004 09:32:21 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 11:15 PM
To: Phillip Ford; Pianotech
Subject: Re: Relocating Knuckles

> >No, I haven't, but Irwin makes thin kerf blades , including 0.059",
0.063",
> >0.070", 0.078", 0.082", 0.086", and 0.094", that should fit your table
saw,
> >and do what you need with some creative jigging. Go shopping and find out
> >what's out there.
> >Ron N
> >
> >       Ron
> >    The Tokiwa knuckle cores are .078 So the blade will work fine
provided
> > there is zero wobble. uh huh right.
> >    Dale

So use the 0.070 blade and expect some. I'd be utterly amazed if you (or I)
can cut a slot dead on size with either a saw or a router. The best chance
you will have is with a very rigid machine setup, like a mill, and a custom
ground (or lucky stock) small diameter cutter run at relatively low speed,
like a slotting cutter.

Ron N

Ron and Others
I picked up a cross sliding vise for about $100.00 from MSC.  It is an
import but built well enough for tolerances that this knuckle/shank project
requires.  The gibbs can be adjusted and the lead screws are OK, so it
travels well in the X, Y axes. It gets bolted to the drill press table and
converts the press to a poor man's milling machine.  Tilt the press table 90
degrees with the vise bolted on and slotting cutters can do their job.  It
takes a few minutes to index the vise to the spindle and it yields
consistent results.  My drill press has square table that I machined the
sides parallel and square to the column. I use a screw less machinists vise
with it frequently.  It is very tight, no warping jaws when you clamp things
into it.

Paul C