Relocating knuckles

Sat, 22 May 2004 01:53:31 +0200

David Love wrote:

>I think you will want to leave the old core in if you are doing this
>operation.  Most of the time the new slot will overlap the old one by some
>amount or be close enough that you risk the thin wall between the slots
>coming apart.  Why fill the old slot when it is already filled with a
>perfectly good piece of wood.  Just cut off the old knuckle flush to the
>bottom of the shank.
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

I dont find refilling afterwards to be any problem at all... and I like
the idea of filling it with the same kind of wood the shank is made of
to begin with. Cutting off the old knuckle in itself is no quicker then
just popping them out with  a pincher so no time is really lost their.
Also... there is the slight issue of existing slot placement.  Any
variance of that can result in cutting into the old core yanking it
loose leaving you needing to fill it anyways...  probably a once in
while occurance... but then just a couple times a set is enough of a
pain for me to pass on leaving the old core in.  Mostly personal
preference tho... I just like doing it this way, and I like the looks of
matching wood as well.

Cheers
RicB