Relocating Knuckles

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 21 May 2004 09:04:43 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I forgot to mention, You first cut off the old knuckle flush with a bandsaw
>leaving the old core in place.  Maybe that was obvious.
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Actually, David, this is the part of the process I don't get.  I can't
imagine that you can get a nice clean cut up to the shank with a
bandsaw.  I would think that most of the time you'd be leaving a little bit
of knuckle and core or you'd be taking off a little bit of shank.  Maybe I
just have a ham-handed bandsaw technique.  I'd be more inclined to cut the
knuckles off on the bandsaw deliberately leaving a little bit of knuckle
and core.  And then use your jig first to run the shank over a dado bit
(wider than the knuckle diameter) on the router to clean them up (I also
wonder if you couldn't just do this to begin with, and skip the bandsaw
step - sounds a little scary - might be worth a try though).  Then use your
jig as described.

Phil Ford