Plugging capstan holes

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Thu, 20 May 2004 13:47:19 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> > Would anyone care to offer some advice on plugging capstan holes? ...
> >
> > Phil Ford

>The West System has a filler (410 Microlite Fairing)  that can be added
>to their resin so that the result is a material that is quite near the
>density
>of pine.  If you experiment a little, you can find a mix that will fill the
>hole and leave you with an easy to re-drill chore.  Too much and it won't
>pour
>down to the bottom, too little and the resin plug is harder than the key.....
>Regards,
>
>Ed Foote RPT

>I fill the entire hole with epoxy.  West system and a generaous amount of
>microlite (410).  Put it in a glue syringe and fill them up.  I insert the
>syringe all the way to the bottom and back it out as squeeze to get the
>stuff to the bottom of the hole....  When it all
>hardens sand smooth with an orbital sander right in the key frame.  You can
>block the key ends to hold them more steady....The epoxy holds the capstan
>just fine and, once hardened, drills and taps without any problems.
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Ed and David,

Thanks.  The West System with the 410 filler sounds like the ticket.  The
syringe sounds like a good idea.

David,

The orbital sander with the keys in the keyframe sounds like a time
saver.  I worry a little about creating pulley keys.  Not an issue?

Regards,

Phil Ford