Tuning & Complaining about Betsy

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 20 May 2004 13:55:25 -0500

Yes, Barbara, but how else are you going to get the experience you need
to go out and tune those ideal 8:4 and 10:5 low bass octaves in the
Lester? Of course, if the Steinway grand isn't available to practice
on--in preparation to tuning that Betsy (Winter, Stark, Crappiola, or
Fill-in-your-own-blank-here),  one can always get a washtub and broom
handle bass to practice on ...

And to all those who rise to the defense of junk pianos, I say, tune
'em, replace their elbows and other various body parts, make some money,
do your best for the client, don't insult people, BUT BUT BUT don't get
all bothered that we laugh at or blow off steam about these clunkers.
For Heaven's sake, the pianos do NOT have feelings, (sorry if that is
disappointing news to anyone), they are just mass-produced, cheap,
low-end, NOT serious, pieces of furniture that make a vaguely piano-like
sound, sometimes, sort of.

My theory: Almost all pianos, over the years, have been purchased by
people who were, understandably, completely ignorant about piano tone
and playability, etc. Almost all choices were based EXCLUSIVELY on
price, brand recognition (or impressive sounding names), and the pretty
cabinets. Add totally disreputable dealers--not all, but way to many--to
that formula. Then add a dash of snobbiness and whoppingly,
sticker-shockingly prices from premium brand manufacturers. Oh, and
throw in the simple reality that piano teachers and technicians
generally--for perfectly sound reasons--tap dance all around any request
for honest evaluations of instruments. And finally, dismally, we can
reflect on the significant percentage of piano teachers who, counter to
all logic and reason, teach on severely out-of-tune and questionable
pianos.

Well, now ... Game of darts, anyone? I'll paste a target on my pompous
protruding posterior and await your slings and arrows.

All in fun, but seriously ...

Alan R. Barnard
Dismantling and Repinning an Acrosonic Action in Salem, MO