Betsy Ross Spinet

Thu, 20 May 2004 05:36:46 -0500

At 20:05 5/19/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>>Bottom line: They are one of many cheap little spinets made back in the
>>40s, 50s and 60s. They were built better than some, but still not any
>>kind of a real musical instrument.
>>
>>Terry Farrell
>There the list goes again - "not any kind of a real musical instrument" -
>bashing about 90% of my businesses income. Yes, they are cheap. Yes, they
>are on the low end of the spectrum. NO, they are not toys. NO, they are
>not KIDS TOY pianos. NO, they are not Steinway or Chickering. YES, they
>are REAL instruments. SO, that last sentence was not called for.
>
>Taking offense,
>
>--
>Duaine Hechler

A long time ago, in a land far, far away,  an old tuner told me, " There's
no such thing as a bad piano.  There may be pianos in the wrong location
which would be a bad thing."

Inexpensive pianos have always allowed more people access to the music
experience.  i.e - better a simulated piano than no piano at all.

In a concert hall, for most performances other than Cage's 4'33",  that
Betsy Ross Spinet would be a bad piano. Likewise, a Bösendorfer 290
probably would be out of place in a single wide in a trailer park.

If the piano meets the needs of the customer,  it is a good piano...
====> no matter what name is on the fallboard. <====

BTW, the Betsy's I have in my clientele are _very_ stable in tuning. (Maybe
zero crown is a good thing?)

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder