Plugging capstan holes

Wed, 19 May 2004 22:50:01 -0700

Terry's post has a good outline of the products from West System.  As Ed
mentioned, the microlite fairing filler (#410 from West System) when mixed
with the epoxy creates a low density compound that behaves much like wood
and is easy to drill, sand, and tap capstans into.  I find that the epoxy
creates a more uniform drilling body than dowels with no gaps or end graing
that tend to cause the drill to wander off in an unintended angle or
direction.  Also, capstans do not turn as smoothly when tapped into the
endgrain of a dowel, though I'm not sure why.  Also, it's very fast.
Fifteen to twenty minutes to fill the holes the first time, do something in
the shop and in a few hours spend another twenty to thirty minutes to
smooth them over.  After it hardens, ten minutes with the orbital sander to
clean it up and the new capstan line is ready to mark and drill.  Cutting
plugs, drilling, trimming and sanding takes several hours and I'm not sure
the result is better.

The glue injector is very useful for this operation.  I get them from
Pianotek (www.pianoteksupply.com) #GI-2 about $10.00 for a dozen.   It's
important to be able to inject the glue all the way down to the bottom of
the hole and as you squeeze the injector you can back the tip out filling
the hole as you leave it.  That way you don't have to have an pinhole at
the bottom to release air (which tends to make a mess underneath the keys)
or attempt to pour this thickened concoction out of a mixing cup into a
small hole.  The syringe has a hole wide enough to allow the epoxyto flow
through it  even with a lot of the fairing compound added.  They are cheap
and disposable.  Mix the epoxy in a mixing cup and then pour it into the
injector, insert the plunger and your off.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net