Alfred Dolge would smile upon us

antares antares@euronet.nl
Wed, 19 May 2004 19:25:44 +0200

On 18-mei-04, at 23:42, Phillip Ford wrote:

> Andre,
>
> Is it really true that you don't own stock in Filzfabrik Wurzen?

Hah! It is really true.
Call them up and ask them.
I had to present a lecture on Wurzen felt and how to work with it
during the Scandinavian Pianotreff in Helsinki last year and I thought
it would be wise to find a way to learn more about the process of
making felt.
It was enlightening.
The director, Jack Brand, is a very nice guy, who is very motivated to
bring the quality of his product to the limit and he is very interested
in the point of view from the voicing technicians side.

> By the way, have you tried their damper felts?

We are working on that.

> What does AAA quality mean?

That was a typo, I meant AA quality, which stands for an improved
version of the well known high quality 'regular' Wurzen felt Steinway
Hamburg uses.

> Do they make other qualities?

They made an attempt in the early nineties to bring back the former
Weickert filz quality. They had to start from scratch, so it took some
time.
I remember very well those early Wurzen felt hammers. They were already
a lot better than what we had before.
Then the quality became stable, resulting in the nice Wurzen felt I
have worked with for years.
So right now, there are two qualities : regular Wurzen and AA Wurzen.
Capisce?

> Do they decide
> beforehand what quality of felt they are making, or do they determine
> that
> somehow after the piece of felt is made?

No no, of course they depend on the market.
Renner makes hammers which are for 90% covered with Wurzen felt.
The customer decides what it is going to be.
I am among the first AA Wurzen customers and I have already made clear
that from now on all our hammers must have the highest quality.
And for heavens sake, why not?

*(; >)))

> For those that would like a bit more info:
>
> http://www.filzfabrik-wurzen.de/

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek