honky tonk tuning

Pianotunaguy@aol.com Pianotunaguy@aol.com
Mon, 17 May 2004 08:20:36 EDT

In a message dated 5/16/04 9:10:38 PM, koko99@shaw.ca writes:

> I would be interested in knowing
> what the
> tuning looked like on paper, ( like E.T. , or some of the other tunings
> ).
> For instance, how the beats were arrived at.

I don't think it's a question of what temperament was used, if indeed the
piano was intentionally tuned that way.   It's the unisons that are out.   It
could have a perfect ET temperament with the third string detuned throughout.
In my attempts at achieving the honkytonk sound, I've found that the bass
unisons need to be cleaner than the rest of the piano.   Listen to the bass on
these recordings.   If they're cleaner than the rest of the piano it may indeed by
intentional.

pianotunaguy