Lacquer fight!/ Internal friction

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Mon, 17 May 2004 03:19:39 -0700

Richard,
     I am not going to jump too far into this lacquer/fight, as it were, as
experience varies, but, in my opinion the need for the use of lacquer in a
hammer is, prima facie, an indicator of inadequacy in the hammer and very
definitely suggests an inadequcy in the pressing regardless of the felt.
     The lacquering  method has been taken up and posed as a kind of
state-of-the-art  measure by a very prominent American company whose factory
on this side of the pond has used it so.  However, I believe this does not
lend any extra validity to this technique and, as I have said in another
post, what is, to my view (only one man's opinion), a general confusion has
developed as to its legitimacy.  I see the need for lacquering, particularly
when used as anything more than a  slight, ancillary effort at hardening
just here or there, as a distinct indicator of an inadequate hammer, and I
would maintain that the present use of lacquer, and "juicing up" is an
aberration without precedent in the American industry and contrary to the
historical facts and ordinary practice.
     On the question of American versus European hammers it seems to me
there is evidence, practically on every street corner in the US of extremely
high-quality un-lacquered American hammers found in the used pianos all
about us as any technician routinely encounters. The preponderance of these
hammers suggests that this continent was not the land of lacquer but, rather
of non-lacquer.  There existence leads me to argue that wholesale lacquering
which many contributors here imply is just another, equally useful technique
in the armamentarium of technicians did not exist in such a fashion until
shortly after WWII and I would not construe it to be anything other than an
attempt, for whatever reason, by technicians and the industry to deal with a
bad situation which we must all continue to labor under.  This situation was
the inadequacy of hammers on the part of a prominent manufacturer, its
method of dealing with this and the subsequent imprimatur of legitimacy this
imparted.  Indeed, this foolishness has reached the laughable point of some
taking the view and maintaining in public that such methods are sufficiently
innovative and worthy that they have been patented, per se, a point I have
made before in other posts.   Hammer making has suffered, particularly until
ten years ago or so, the general decline of quality seen in so much of
things related to piano production in the period after WWII.  However, I
feel like things are now improving as regards availability of even merely
acceptable hammers.
     Personally, I believe great hammers can and have been made from any
number of felts and that, all things being equal, the stress and mass
distribution will determine the hammers functional usefulness.  I am just
ordering, taking Dale Ervin's reports to heart on this, so I may be on the
verge of learning something new in this regard, a set of the Wurzen felt
hammers from Ronsen, and look forward to having them to work with.  .
     The unlacquered Steinway hammer up until just before WWII, and,
continuing perhaps, in a somewhat lessened fashion up until the 60's, was,
in my opinion, the hammer, par excellance.  Culminating in its development
in the1880's with a redesign which employed the use of  underfelt, a
stiffening solution on the shoulder and a smaller shape than used
previously, along with the use of the staple a few years before, this was
the very paradigm of the modern, high-quality, highly developed American
hammer.  Lacquer had no part in this or its very numerous imitators.  As far
as I can tell, this continued in use in a general similar fashion until the
period shortly after WWII.   From my perspective, it is erroneous to claim,
as some have, that lacquer has been a valid technique for a hundred years or
so.  I don't think this is the case.  The use of the stiffening solution in
the shoulder is quite different in approach and purpose than the present
wholesale use of lacquer.  Of course, lacquer itself was not even around a
hundred years ago, a petty point perhaps, but pertinent nevertheless.  As
this hammer did use, I think, for much of this time the Wurzen felt, it is
probable in my mind, that its superiority was a function both of the felt
and the hammers  mechanical characteristic.  Nevertheless there were many,
many, other hammers with substantially similar capability, although perhaps
not quite as great, and, as it is hard to believe they were all Wurzen
felt,  I believe this suggests their mechanical design and pressing were at
least as important a set of factors, as that of the felt, if not more so.
     The dark, dull sound of the poorly pressed, excessively soft hammer,
however pretty in the lower dynamic ranges can never be adequate, for my
ear, for a full range of pianistic expression as the midrange and upwards
can't be perceived readily enough against the tenor and bass.  Neither is
the half time or ring time acceptable.  Nor can lacquering render the
fortissimo levels acceptably or sufficiently stable.  This is said with all
due respect to the advocates of lacquer - even when they momentarily find a
point in its use when the hammer sounds almost great - the prospect of
unintended change looms large.  Of course such exists in the unlacquer
hammer as well, but, in my opinion change does not come as fast nor is as
unpredictable.
     The other side of the coin - the bright and brassy sound consigned to
the garbage below postures itself as acceptable on the point of
perceptibility but is woefully inadequate on the other, and is, to my mind,
equally worthless, but, the public can, at least, hear something from the
instrument.  High quality piano sound is far removed from the consciousness
of the conditioned,  harried, busy consumer of today listening to symphonic
renditions at the drop of a hat.  His piano is just another item among the
many, and, as such, does not get the scrutiny his great-grandmother
subjected the instrument to when it was all she had to provide entertainment
through the long winter evenings years ago.
     I think the mysterious TP is a previous contributor to the list, who
wishes to remain anonymous.
Regards to all, Robin Hufford