Cracked Plate in Steinway B

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Sun, 16 May 2004 11:48:23 EDT

In a message dated 13/05/04 9:13:03 PM, davidskolnik@optonline.net writes:

<< except I think you mean pulling the block up
to the plate, or else the plate down to the block, don't you?>>

David...yes that is what I meant to say...must be suffering from drain
bamage. :-)

<< It would still leave open the questions as to what, if any effect,
the gap between the block and flange WOULD  have, upon the distribution of
stress in the plate,>>
As to the crack in the plate web I don't think it would have any effect

<<the advisability or inadvisability of shimming said gap.>>
 There are sooooo many opinons and reasons and theories on this one that I
can only say what mine is........if the block is fitted well and glued/doweled
into rim/stretcher it ain't gonna move laterally toward the plate
web.........................but shimming won't hurt anything. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)