Lacquer fight!/ Internal friction

Topperpiano@aol.com Topperpiano@aol.com
Sat, 15 May 2004 14:01:21 EDT

Andre, Thanks for your response.  I really meant that I just group piano
hammers in two groups, needle down or juice up and in no way meant to put words in
your mouth.  I know there are pretty distinct differences between the three
in their materials and sound but I should have made my statement more clear in
that I expect German or Asian hammers to be harder and I expect American
Steinway hammers to be much softer and needing some lacquer to function.  I don't
know if you see many of the smaller American Steinway, Ms and Ls over there but
they seem to be the ones that come from the factory needing the most
attention.  Most of the larger pianos are coming in with more power but in recent
months I have hung German produced hammers on two very nice B's that were less
than 6 months old. The buyers just like the sound better and both had already
been juiced to the extinction of the power. I have on occasion juiced hammers
that were made in Asia, but only very sparingly on most German brands because
they already have some in them to begin with. The Steinway pianos have already
had some lacquer in the factory and some don't need any more. But when you start
with a new set you have to really do some pretty radical manipulation. Part
of the problem here in the US is that we have a pretty unsophisticated sense of
tonal aesthetic.  Too many Americans have been bombarded with such bad piano
sound that many do not really have a sense of what good tone is.  For so many
years we have had such badly regulated, poorly voiced American pianos of
several brands that almost anything that is even to the touch and evenly voiced is
regarded as wonderful. The escalation of BRIGHT by the low end Asian
manufacturers has obliterated any sense of tone.  Just a couple of weeks ago I was
asked by a dealer to do some voicing to a Chinese piano because it was not BRIGHT
enough. In a voicing sense of course the problem was not bright but a total
lack of volume and decay. Many pianists here complain about pianos being not
bright enough when the problem is not one of timbre but of substance. Not that I
want you to suffer, Andre but I'll bet that faced with a voicing project on a
Kimball La Petite you would be reduced to tears.  A perfect example is the
ongoing debate among pianists who believe that the Steinway concert grands that
are used in New York and as station pianos around the country are manufactured
in a completely different way with better materials and different soundboards,
actions, hammers, etc.  When you try to tell them that the only difference is
that they have been voiced and regulated they are incredulous.  Steinway has
long maintained that there is no difference but many pianists, salespeople and
dealers alike just do not believe them.  I can tell you that they are the one
and the same instrument. Sure they pick the better of the production to be
C&A pianos.  Every company would want their best foot forward.  But the reality
is that many beautiful Steinway pianos are languishing at the dealer level
unpurchased because the dealer won't put 7-10 hours into them.  Rant for today. TP