Renner repetition springs

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Sat, 15 May 2004 08:10:18 -0700

>Subject: Re: Renner repetition springs
>
><< a constant problem with all of them.  The repetition spring
>(hammer rise) is consistently way too heavy.  The screw simply will not
>lower pressure enough to even be noticeable.  >>
>
>The springs have to be weakened  a lot before you get to final adjustment.
>This must be done by depressing the top of the spring downwards, often until
>it
>almost touches the whippen itself.  Doing this tightens the coil and should
>not distort the spring, at all.
>Good luck,
>
>Ed Foote RPT
>
>Ditto.  I set the adjustment screw in the middle, then adjust the spring
>much the same way I regulate the rep spring in a Steinway, saving the screw
>adjustment for fine regulating as required.
>
>Paul C

Bending springs with the wippens installed on the action is not my
idea of a good time.  I bend the springs and get them in the ballpark
before installing the wippens.  Once the parts are installed, all I
have to do is turn adjusting screws.  I thought I might give a link
to a post I made a few months back about how I adjust these springs.
It depends on measuring the SWs (Strike Weights) of all the hammers,
which I do routinely when installing new parts.  If you don't, or
don't want to, then this method won't be of much use to you.

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2003-December/146362.html

A couple of comments on this post.  When I refer to bending springs,
I mean bending them at the coil, as described above by Ed, so that
the wings of the butterfly, so to speak, are not distorted.  I now
use a multiplier of 6.25 instead of 6, which is the number that I
gave in that post.  If you use 6 the springs will be slightly too
weak and you'll have to increase spring strength with the adjusting
screw.  If you use 6.25, some of the springs will be slightly too
strong and some slightly too weak, but the total amount of adjusting
seems to be a bit less.

Happy Spring,

Phil Ford