Hammer felt (was Re: Lacquer fight!)

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 14 May 2004 12:50:18 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>...The older Steinway hammers were softer and almost silky to the
>touch.  I've always thought that it was more lanolin that remained in the
>hammer fiber, giving it a resilience.  When you file those older hammers
>you have all sorts of trash and black spots that are trapped inside.  I
>have always assumed that they didn't "clean the wool very well" leaving
>more lubricant inside which also actually made it sound better....
>Topperpiano (TP)

I've had similar thoughts.  The look and feel of the old hammers is
different from new hammers, even those that are seemingly trying to imitate
the old hammers.  I wasn't around when they were new so I don't know what
they looked like.  I imagine a lot of the yellow appearance of the old
hammers that we see now is from age.  But I have the impression that they
were never the snow white, super clean hammers that we see now.  I agree
that they didn't seem to clean the wool very well.  I don't know if this
was deliberate to get some felt properties that they wanted, or if the
equipment and chemicals that they were using then just weren't capable of
getting the wool as 'clean' as we can get it now.  An interesting question
I think.  I've also thought that the lanolin or whatever else might be left
in the wool was affecting the felt and thus the tone, but never had an
explanation for it.  If research indicates that internal friction in the
felt is an important parameter, this might offer an explanation.  I imagine
that it would be interesting trying to convince a modern felt maker not to
thoroughly clean his wool and to leave a bit of junk in the felt.

Phil Ford

Phillip Ford
Piano Service and Restoration
San Francisco, CA