Cracked Plate in Steinway B

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Thu, 13 May 2004 13:26:26 EDT

In a message dated 13/05/04 11:58:15 AM, davidskolnik@optonline.net writes:

<< The
probable cause was the poor fitting of the replaced block.  A gap of at
least 1/32" is detectable between the block and flange, running for about 8
or 9 inches. >>

David;
 In my opinion the "gap" has nada to do with any crack in the plate.
'B's have a pinblock which is angled from side to side as well as front to
back..the most common configuration that I have seen.... With the crack
radiating from a screw hole I would tend to say that the most probable cause would be
from trying to pull the plate up to the block with the block screws rather
than a careful fitting of the plate/block interface which would have resulted in
a much less stressful fit..
Jim Bryant (FL)