Adjusting grand hammer positions on shanks

Wed, 12 May 2004 07:58:15 -0700

What kind of alignment change?  If the hammers are leaning one way or the other then you can heat the shank and twist the hammer slightly in the direction you want it to end up which will put a permanent twist in the shank when it cools (known as "burning the shank" even though you actually just heat them and don't burn them).  This can be done with an alcohol lamp or heat gun, or butane lighter in a pinch.  If the hammers are to be moved in or out on the shank, you must heat the glue joint, pull the hammer off, clean off the old glue and reglue at the proper position.  Hide glue softens easily when heated so keep the heat gun cool enough that you don't burn the felt or the wood.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Gordon Holley
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 5/12/2004 7:47:32 AM
Subject: Adjusting grand hammer positions on shanks

Hello List.  Very recently installed new grand hammers on new shanks and now need to make some adjustments in the alignment position of some of the hammers on the shanks.  I did use hot hide glue.
What heat source should I use to soften the glue so that I can make the minute movements of the hammers on the shanks?.
I do have an electrice heat gun, a butane tourch (don't want to burn up the hammers and shanks), an electric shank bender and a shank bender that you heat up with a alcohol lamp.
I'm going to need one hand on the shank to hold it, one hand on the hammer to make the adjustments, how is the heat source positioned on the shank and hammer to soften the glue?.
Many thanks in advance.
Gordon Holley
Associate, Chap 467, Indiana