Disgusted for the good ol' days

antares antares@euronet.nl
Wed, 12 May 2004 01:53:56 +0200

I was there too a long time ago, Rob.
That's exactly the reason why I opted for continuing old style with a=20
warning to fanatical christians and politicians to you know what and=20
react in  a normal just the way we always reacted in a more or less=20
normal way.
In other words...

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

On 11-mei-04, at 20:47, Rob Goodale wrote:

> Hello everyone.
> =A0
> I have been thinking about this OT, Moderated, Unmoderated,=20
> Touchy-Feely, shame on you, you hurt my feelings", BS that has evolved=20=

> on this list and I am reaching a boiling point here.=A0 Something is=20=

> terribly wrong.
> =A0
> I have been on pianotech continuously since close to the beginning=20
> nearly 8 years ago.=A0 I don't believe there are more than=A0two or=20
> three=A0others still here that go back that far.=A0 Over the years I =
have=20
> seen people come and go.=A0 Some have left and returned and then went=20=

> away again.=A0 Some haven't come back.=A0 We have also had a few who =
have=20
> passed away.
> =A0
> I bring this up because I have to wonder what happened.=A0 We had SO=20=

> MUCH FUN in the past.=A0 We had arguments that were GOOD arguments, we=20=

> went off topic, on topic, nobody cared.=A0 It was just a great group =
of=20
> piano techs who had found a place to chit chat.=A0 Most of the time we=20=

> talked about pianos.=A0 If someone wanted to talk about something else=20=

> for awhile nobody cared, we were just a great group of piano=20
> technicians who had a lot of fun chatting on pianotech and bouncing=20
> ideas off each other.=A0 We always had the infamous "flame suits" to =
put=20
> on if need be and we all loved it.=A0 We joked, made fun of each =
other,=20
> got serious, and then laughed again.=A0=A0If the=A0arguments=A0got =
nasty we=20
> loved the list anyway and wouldn't miss being here for the world.=A0 =
Ah=20
> the good ol' days.
> =A0
> Over the past several years many of the Johnny-come-latelys=A0that=20
> joined=A0the list=A0seem to have=A0had an assumption that=A0pianotech=A0=
is=20
> something that it isn't.=A0 Disappointed in this expectation they then=20=

> took it upon themselves to mold=A0pianotech into something else.=A0=A0A =
few=20
> have=A0self-appointed themselves to reprimand others.=A0Others assumed=20=

> themselves to be the=A0authorities on what topics were acceptable and=20=

> which were not.=A0=A0And some=A0have taken the list to a new level of =
finger=20
> pointing.
> =A0
> It would be golden to turn back the clock to when "pianotech" was=20
> really "pianotech".=A0 My question is what happened?=A0 Those of you =
who=20
> have only joined within the last=A0couple years will never know what =
you=20
> are missing.=A0 We had a great time and looked forward to exchanging=20=

> messages piano related or not.=A0 It was just a fun place to meet.=A0=20=

> Chaos was always in order and that was the way=A0everyone liked it.
> =A0
> It is interesting to note that having talked=A0with others over the =
last=20
> few years as to why they left their number one complaint is that the=20=

> list evolved into what it is now.=A0 In that spirit might I suggest =
that=20
> we all drop the agenda on trying to make pianotech a nice and neat=20
> orderly place with hospital corners?=A0 What pianotech doesn't=A0need =
is=A0a=20
> moderator, officially or otherwise.=A0 Who gives a crap, we're all big=20=

> boys and girls, we don't need a scout master.=A0 For those of you who=20=

> can't handle this may I suggest that you start another list elsewhere=20=

> and leave well enough alone?=A0 Hey, the internet is an =A0absolutely =
HUGE=20
> place.=A0 There is plenty of room to create that sort of list.=A0 =
Please=20
> just relax for a change=A0and enjoying the flying feathers.=A0 Stupid =
CAN=20
> be fun.=A0 Think of=A0something really off-topic=A0to talk about=A0such =
as, oh=20
> I don't know say... 70's disco fads.=A0 Then have fun trying to relate=20=

> pianos to it.=A0 Be careful, you might actually find yourself having=20=

> fun.=A0 Smiling could be fatal for those of you who have a brittle =
face.
> =A0
> Rob Goodale, RPT
> Las Vegas, NV