Ronsen Hammers

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 11 May 2004 10:13:31 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Dale,

Since you've had a little experience working with the Ronsen Wurzen
hammers, perhaps you could give us some idea of the voicing technique that
works well on them.  I think we're all pretty clear that on the one hand
you have your Steinway type hammer that you need to build up with hardener,
and on the other hand you have your Renner type hammer which you need to
tenderize with needles.  I'm assuming these Ronsen Wurzens are somewhere in
between.  Do they require that the shoulders be tenderized?  Is lacquer
beneficial?  Is aggressive initial filing advisable?  How would you
characterize the tone that they give relative to other hammers that you've
used?

Thanks,

Phil Ford