Lacquer fight! Lacquer fight!

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 10 May 2004 21:00:12 EDT

In a message dated 5/10/2004 1:03:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:
Hi Bernhard.

An interesting point that I see no one has really answered too.

Cheers
RicB

  Hi Bernard
Bernhard Stopper wrote:

>Hammers parameters are not only stiffness/springieness.
>A big influence on sound quality is the amount of the energy that is lost
>due to the hammers inner friction of the fibers.
>>> Which no doubt is in direct correlation with it's inate stiffness
/sprininess or lack of it.
A good felt quality has a
>high ability of rebounding a big amount of the input energy.
  Providing it got adequate & appropriate pressing resulting in tension &
compression.
It seems logic
>that this rebounding ability on a high quality hammer is reduced by
>lacquering.
  To me This certainly seems to me to be the misinformation of this thread
but if you wish.... If so then  a hammer made with a good felt but is not stiff
enough or to springy for the tone desired then a 5-1 lacquer acetone solution
,or whatever, will stiffen the felt & improve its rebound rate.
On the other hand, it might be possible that on a hammer with a
>bad felt quality with excessive inner friction may be stabilized to a better
>level by lacquering.
>> May I submit that the  Inner friction of felt  has always been a fairly
esoteric & small consideration to the discussion of hammers even though it is a
know factor & frankly to me personally not very useful.
  Rgeards--Dale

>regards,
>
>Bernhard

Erwins Pianos Restorations