sticking fall board

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Mon, 10 May 2004 09:41:05 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of trc3j@juno.com
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 7:56 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: sticking fall board

No, just pulls out like a shelf. It looks and feels like it is too wide.
Could it have swollen with humidity change? Should I sand or plane it
down, or look for something I am missing?

Tim

 sticking fall board

> > I have a 1966 Wurlitzer spinet
> >
> > The problem I am having is with the
> fall board. It goes in smooth up until the last inch and then it binds.
> I am
> > guessing that maybe the humidity change has caused it to swell.
>
> > Tim

Hi, Tim
It sounds like the cheeks of the cabinet have swollen enough to create the
binding.  You may find it difficult to remove the key slip, also.  Measure
the inside distance between the cheeks where the fallboard is not binding,
where the cheeks are attached to the sides, then compare that dimension to
the measurement at the very front of the cheeks.  If the front dimension is
smaller than the back, you'll need to remove the fall board and shorten it
enough to give you about 1/8" clearance at the front when the fall board is
closed.  Planing with a SHARP block plane yields a nice fit.

Paul C