Tension & compression-- Not lacquer fight

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 10 May 2004 00:32:53 EDT

     To all Hammer Heads
    In the previous thread I was trying to convey the way I see that a hammer
is made & if you followed that then you see that I have a definition of
tensioned felt in mind. However what I failed to articulate clearly is that Tension
& compression go hand in hand in the hammer pressing process.
   As I stated, & piano hammer makers can tell you, that too much tension can
be achieved during pressing in the outer layers of felt and it can & will rip
open in the crown. This is the elastic limit of the felt. As the stretching
of the felt on the outer perimeter happens the inner parts of the felt are
compressing. It has too because of the stretching of the outer felt, the
triangular shape the felt strip is cut & the hammer press pressure itself.
    To prove this to yourself take any kind of tenor or bass hammer & cut
thru the molding with a band saw small hand back saw  up to the tip at the
underfelt. Now that the molding is separated if it actually has tension the 2 halves
of the molding will move away from each other as the tension is released &
the middle compressed part will unload. Squeeze it back & forth & back & forth &
you can visually see tension & compression phenomena happening at the same
time
  Unless heat & pressure keep the felt from approaching its elastic limit
only so much density/compression can be achieved in the middle of the hammer by
strictly tension, which can be considerable but not for the kind of hammers
some prefer. I believe this is one reason why we've had so many bad sets of over
hard hammers in the past. Manufacturers have simply used heat or steam to
densify felt & render it's natural properties less or unusable. Hence steam
voicing, excess needling, voice grips.
  We all want hammers that work the way intended & it seems that in many
places its getting wwwaaayy closer. That's the way I see it
    WIllis, nice to hear your out there.
  Regards
   Dale Erwin

Erwins Pianos Restorations