Weber with 4 string unisons

Mick mick@laughinggravy.net
Sun, 9 May 2004 22:27:18 +0100

Hi Dave

I've tuned a few old German pianos with four string unisons in the top
treble - you can get an upright style rubber mute in between the narrower
strings fairly easily. I've never had to check gauges here but maybe the
extra string allows for a slightly lower tension while increasing volume..

Mick D

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: 09 May 2004 04:29
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Weber with 4 string unisons

Old Weber fans,

Today I happened upon an old Weber 9 foot concert grand that was not in the
greatest shape, though in its time, it must have been REALLY magnificent.
The strings were pretty rusted, though at pitch, and tunable(despite having
been installed more sloppily than I've ever seen). I didn't get to tune the
whole thing, just looked it over a bit.

The interesting feature is the four string unisons above the treble/tenor
strut.  I wish the piano was in good shape so I could really evaluate what
musical effect this would create.  Has anyone on this list come across one
of these in decent condition?  Tuning them must be a bit of a challenge.
The strings of each note are so close together, that they seem quite
difficult to get a mute between.

Just another of life's interesting pianos.

Dave Stahl