Weber with 4 string unisons

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi@earthlink.net
Sun, 9 May 2004 12:22:54 -0700

Dave.
I took care of one of these for years.  There were only a few made.  At
one time there was a fellow trying to find all of them in the country
and it turned out the majority were here on the West Coast.  Paderewski
used them when he was feuding with Steinway and often the program would
even mention the use of the Weber.

The one I took care of was also not in good shape.  It needed to be
rebuild to realize it's beauty.  The quad unisons were a pain in the
neck because there were many false beats.  Also, there was a whole
section of wire that kept breaking; obviously metal fatigue.....As I
said, it needed to be rebuilt.

It had rocker capstans, which in themselves are not necessarily a
problem, but the key sticks were in bad shape.  Most of the screws for
the capstans had seized up and made adjustments very difficult....As I
said, it needed to be rebuilt.

The sound was massive, in spite of all the problems.  I'd love to see
one in good shape.

Hope this helps,
jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Associate Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net