Lacquer fight! Lacquer fight!

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 8 May 2004 21:55:32 EDT

In a message dated 5/8/2004 4:58:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, oleg-i@noos.fr
writes:
So we can have a hammer that have a lot of tension, a very rich rebound and a
lively tone at all levels, but still miss some basic power for sustaining
tone and carry the timbre at forte levels.  Battery needling gives that,
densifing the bottom of the shoulder and the felt under the strike point, but  it does
not add lot of tension, so it is of course better to begin with a hammer
having enough.
     >> Really, Isaac , with all due respect, What you have is mostly felt in
compression not much tension. Battery needling is releasing very densified
compressed felt which in turn allows the felt  more spring which does drive the
fundamental.  I tried in my last post to comminicate what tension is but I
guess I used the wrong words or something . I thought I was clear.

Renner is now using a more controlled hammer press so the tension within the
hammers is more pronounced and voicing is more creative, and the rules apply
much better than when some part of the set where too hard and some not enough.
The felt quality indeed is the big parameter in that.
   >>>Trumpets blowing & I'm thinking happy thoughts that manufacturers care
what we want.

Now, I have not a lot of experience using high tension low or medium density
hammers, but I guess the tone can be very nice and exactly appropriate for the
kind of older American pianos  tone I've heard, that is a kind of
sophisticated tone, a little too policed for my culture may be. I believe it is not a
good idea to add lacquer to create more power then, and that possibly one can try
usual processes before  that move.
  >>>Whatever

Keeping the fiber in its natural state is leaving the possibility to be more
creative with the tone, and it is easier to maintain after that..
   >>> Matter of opinion. Ok... I respect yours. However some of the finest
sounding hammers in the world are juiced properly & in my experienced require
less efforts to keep voiced and stable. I'm speaking of first hand experience.
  However I'm not going to convince you Ric or any one else.
  But there are many people doing this correctly & the results tonally as
well as voicing stability areas good as anything out there.

.

When speaking of tone volume and brilliance are not power, power drives the
fundamental mostly, and the fundamental drives the higher partials differently
depending of the force the note is played. It is easier to check power of the
bass, and the medium notes, with a strong but cool finger like for tuning,
listening the way the fundamental hold and feeling the power within the key.
   The non -linear nature of wool felt (juiced or unjuiced)is what drives the
tonal variety at differing dynamic levels. See 5 lectures.
  I'm done.
   Regards--Dale

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.