Wurlies was RE: Wurlitzer Console Value

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 7 May 2004 13:55:28 -0500

List (& Roger "The Man" Jolly)

Since pianos have been mentioned, I must say that they are among my
least favorite to tune. It seems that no matter how much attention you
give them, post-war Wurlies are whiney and just not pleasant to listen
to. I'm not comparing them to the true bottom-dwellers (Betsy, Winter,
etc.) but I guess I just expect more from such a well known brand that
has been sold to so many people as "good" instruments--which only
confirms my theory that 90 percent of all pianos are bought for the
furniture, not the music.

Anyway, here's a question: If one laid one of these puppies on its back;
tapped in (glued in?) the bridge pins; rolled and leveled the strings;
do a full and proper regulation focused especially on hammer alignment,
hammer travel, v-bar/pressure bar smoothness, string terminations, etc;
then did a careful voicing job .... would there be a really noticeable
improvement in tonality???

I have a customer who bought a 90's model console right out of the box,
no dealor prep. He and his wife are very dissatisfied with the piano and
the dealor (there IS justice) went bankrupt. Anyhow, I owe these folks
quite a bit of money for some landscaping they did on the house and I'd
love to barter piano work for it. But the only way it would work is if I
virtually guaranteed an improvement--and I sure wouldn't want to spend
two days on the thing just on the hope and speculation that it will!

Your thoughts & experience, please.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO