out of tune Yamaha ...

CChristus chchristus@earthlink.net
Thu, 6 May 2004 23:29:20 -0400

Clyde said: "concert work..I try to avoid it.  But I can tell when a piano
isn't doing what it oughta."

Like our Pennsylvanian friend, I don't actively pursue concert work either.
But when I attend a performance on a piano I've prepared, I think I may be
as nervous as the artist (especially for intermission touchups).  Every
slightly out of tune unison, or hammer needing more attention, or any
deficit inherent to the piano, ...

Which brings up my point:  While our tuning and technical skills allow us to
enjoy a beautifully prepared quality instrument, it also makes us acutely
aware when "a piano isn't doing what it oughta".  I hear a lot of the latter
on some old jazz recordings especially.  Baffling how some of these kings of
piano artistry and creativity had to suffer this misfortune.  Wonder if
there's any way to digitally clean up the tuning on old recordings...

Chuck Christus